Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Large Hadron Collider

They lit up the large hadron collider in Switzerland last night (my time; 10:36 a.m. Swiss time, and heaven knows they're renowned for their accuracy with timepieces). Anyway, along with all the buzz about discovering "God" particles and the amount of power this sucker consumes (35 Megawatts at IDLE!! and 180 when it's cooking), there was no small amount of speculation that the experiment would generate a black hole which would proceed to destroy the world as we know it and otherwise.

My youngest sent me this link this morning.

Too funny. So far, anyway - they've only fired one beam in one direction. Stay tuned.

Update: then my oldest sends me this link - along with the observation that there have been 5 earthquakes in the past 24 hours between 6.1 and 6.9 magnitude.

Coincidence?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home